On my most recent shopping expedition with Elle, we went to Chanel. I have wanted a Chanel Classic Flap Bag; it has been on my wish list ever since I can remember. Black lambskin with gold chains in size large. I finally convinced myself to buy it! I love it so much!
On that day, the Chanel Reissue 2.55 also caught my eyes. It took me a while to decide because they were both classic bags in their own right. It was interesting to hear the history of the reissue 2.55. In February 2005, Karl Lagerfeld re-made the 2.55 exactly as the original one designed by Coco Chanel in February 1955 hence the name 2.55.
The bag has a number of features:
- The most distinct feature is the shape of the lock. The lock on the Reissue is the original lock known as the Mademoiselle Lock because Coco Chanel never married. The double CC logo was introduced to the Classic Flag Bags in 1980s by Karl Lagerfeld.
- Coco Chanel designed the bag with straps because she felt modern women needed to have their hands free while attending social functions. Coco Chanel grew up in an orphanage and the caretakers always had keys dangling from their waist made from the same type of chains as the 2.55 shoulder strap chains.
- The burgundy coloured lining represents the uniform she wore at the orphanage. The nuns’ wore black with white trims hence the packaging on some Chanel products today; for example the perfumes.
- The zippered compartment inside the front flap was rumored to contain her love letters as she was having an affair at that time.
- The back outside flap was where she stored her extra money.
- The quilted diamond pattern on the exterior of the bag is believe to have been inspired by various sources such as jockey’s riding coats, cushions in Chanel’s Paris apartment.
I tried on both bags and noticed that the straps were difference length. The Classic Flap Bag looked better carried with one strap on the shoulder. Whereas the Reissue 2.55 Bag looked better carried with the double chain as the length of the chains were slightly longer in comparison. I have always wanted the Classic Flap Bag so I thought I’ll buy that this time. I’ll save the Reissue for next time!
There is a movie called Coco avant Chanel. It was released on the 25 June 2009. The movie is about the story of Coco Chanel’s rise from obscure beginnings to the heights of the fashion world.
You can watch the trailer from the link below:
Not all cinemas are showing this movie; the following cinemas are showing them if you are in Melbourne:
Palace Cinema in Brighton Bay, Rivoli in Camberwell, Cinema Nova in Carlton, Hoyts in Chadstone, Classic Cinema in Elsternwick, Palace Como Cinema in South Yarra just to name a few.
I can’t wait to see it!!!
Tell us about your wish list bags!!!!